Sunday, March 9, 2008

the beginning

In recent weeks I've been focusing on Crows more than the usual. I have been seeing what I believe to be the same small murder of crows every morning as I wait for my bus to work, fly overhead and greet me (yes I think every time a crow or raven caws within ear shot of me is in fact directed toward me as greeting), flying north.

Two weeks ago I finally, after about a decade of on and off concepts for a first tattoo, decided to incorporate crows into the design. (I'll get this tat, hopefully for my 39th birthday) Never have I been more certain of anything in my life.

Then, I saw "The Golden Compass" with my partner. I was deeply moved by the concept of the soul living outside of the body, in the form of an animal familiar (or as called in the novels the movie was based... a dæmon). For days after that I could not get the concept out of my mind, nor stop wondering what my dæmon would be, were I to have one. I thought I'd read up on the concept and then on a whim I went to the Golden Compass' website and they have an on-line test to determine your dæmon. Now I must admit I was hoping on sharing the same dæmon as the character Lord Asriel and have a Snow Leopard like Stelmaria since Leopards are such a vivid part of my personality (see my other blog), Well, I have to say I was pleasantly surprise (although if I had really thought about it, I shouldn't have been surprised) to see my dæmon was indeed a crow named Aspadora...



After reading more on the concept of dæmons I have become consciously obsessed with everything Crow and Ravens... it is because of this that I have started this blog...

So, welcome to unkindness & murder... my blog of all things Crow and Raven... and nothing unkind or murderous... in the conventional sense at least.

No comments: